Pearson Vice President - Production & Digital Studio - Science in Hoboken, New Jersey
Vice President - Production & Digital Studio - Science
The Production & Digital Studio team for Global Product is accountable for the successful end-to-endproduction of our Higher Education and other courseware across all formats and product models includingprint, eBooks, rich media, simulations/games, current generation digital supplemental products, and nextgeneration integrated digital products, as well as oversight of Pearson rights & permissions, coursewarequality assurance, and global content solutions. The 430 employee organization currently produces over 2000PC/mobile software and print titles annually across multiple Pearson geographic locations from California tothe UK augmented by thousands of vendors and freelancers around the world.The Production & Digital Studio team for Global Product provides portfolio management processes andstrategic analysis to support the company in achieving our goals and driving our long-term, sustainable growthwith improved learner outcomes. It does this by
● Partnering with portfolio area, product management, sales and marketing, and technology leadershipteams to resolve strategic issues and opportunities and to drive product strategies.
● Providing transparency into and analysis of Pearson’s global product portfolio, including product-levelinvestments
● Creating a consistent and data-driven approach to production processes and investment governanceacross Pearson
● Providing product and geographic-related subject expertise, market insights and portfolio.
Role DescriptionThe VP of Production & Digital Studio – Science reports to the SVP of Production & Digital Studio (PDS) isaccountable for delivering all customer-facing products for the Science discipline, both print and digital andadhering to our quality, budget, and schedule adherence targets. The VP is responsible for leading aproduction and content strategy that is also aligned to our corporate objectives. The VP works collaborativelywith senior leadership within the PDS group and across the organization, driving initiatives and deliveringstrategic leadership through the lifecycle of all Higher Ed Science programs,The VP will manage an organization of approximately 56 staff and will be accountable/responsible for
● Gaining expertise for the Portfolio Products and managing selected content development and allproduction investments across the lifecycle
● Delivering on innovation within production lifecycle
● Leading cross-functional teams through end-to-end workflows related to the content development andcontent production of print products, rich media, and online courses.
● Managing change control processes and impartially resolving issues and concerns
● Go-to-market product preparation from a content and production perspective to deliver on the Scienceproduct value proposition.
● The ongoing identification and progress of innovative product and process ideas, propelling themthrough production
● Resource planning (people, infrastructure, vendors…) to ensure the execution of product build (digitaland print) according to specified objectives - volume, cost, time and quality, and developing annualplans, organizing and prioritizing tasks, initiatives and teams to ensure delivery.
● Establish relationships and strong partnerships with other parts of the organization to ensureachievement of output, quality & productivity.
● Accountable to ensuring adherence to all media standards.
● Applying content structure, enrichment standards, and other compliance standards, e.g. accessibility
● Driving requirements to teams that build tools that support content development and production
● Accountable across the Science disciplines for ensuring standardized workflows for both digital andcourse production are adhered to, refined, and streamlined.
● Establishing schedule, defining content scope and requirements, managing budget, and ensuringagreed upon project goals, milestones, and quality targets are met.
● Establishing a vendor sourcing strategy that is in line with the PDS broader vendor strategy andensuring quality compliance, schedule and budgets are being met.
● Managing selected custom course development, production, adoption and implementation of ourcontent management toolset, to courseware builds and rich media content.
Essential skills include:
● Fluency in diverse production strategies, print and digital, in a complex, changing industry
● Strong listening and influencing skills
● Ability to understand production financial modelling
● Ability to manage multiple senior and junior stakeholders in driving multi-part, long term strategicinitiatives to completion
● Ability to frame business issues and communicate goals clearly to leadership and cross-functionalteams alike
● Understanding of key issues and trends in the market
● Fluency in managing strategic and product-related issues in technology setting
● Ability to manage a large team, domestic & international
● Ability to lead cross-functional teams in converting strategic guidance into execution
● Excellent collaboration skills
● Excellent oral and written communication skills
● Executive presenceCritical CompetenciesUnderstands the Business of Pearson
● Understands and can communicates Pearson’s vision and strategy and links the purpose ofProduction to the Pearson larger vision. Understands how synergies can be made betweenproduct categories. (text/digital/courseware)Collaboration
● Partners with other parts of the organization (e.g. portfolio management and productmanagement teams) to develop annual budget and agile product development and productionplans based on market requirements.
● Promotes positive and productive communications within the Math/ECS team, across PDS teams,and across Global Product in the portfolio to ensure consistency and collaborationLearner Obsessed
● Manages resources and makes unplanned adjustments within budget to continuously meetlearner's needs and expectations in product development and execution of product build.Transformer
● Recommends improvements to end-to-end production flow and methods to improve fluidity,quality and/or to reduce costs. Drives communication channels/processes with sister products inthe portfolio to enhance cross category synergies.Qualifications:
● BA/BS required.
● 8-10 years experience in learning and/or educational, digital & print production with a minimum 5years experience in a leadership role
● Familiarity with Math/ECS disciplines a plus.
● Proven record of leadership and success
Primary Location: US-NJ-Hoboken
Other Locations US-CA-San Francisco, US-MA-Boston
Work Locations: US-NJ-Hoboken-221 River 221 River Street Hoboken 07030
Organization: Global Product
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Jul 27, 2017
Req ID: 1709774